The injunction of our Lord Jesus Christ, otherwise known as the Great Commission, as recorded in Matthew 28: 18-20 that, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of age,” is not an optional doctrine for Christians.
Open Baptist Church, guided by its Executive Committee, is the ultimate authority on all matters on missions. The Senior Pastor and an Elder (Missions Director) are responsible for the spiritual guidance and focus of an OBC Missions Working Group, which is responsible for all operational aspects of approved areas of thrust for missions.
The Missions Support Ministry shall:
• Educate, motivate and inspire the congregation in the field of missions both locally and internationally;
• Encourage liaison with other Christian organizations and ministries within and outside the Church in outreach ministries;
• Set specific mission goals for the Church in accordance with the Scriptures;
• Identify, select and recommend missionary candidates within and outside the Church for service on short and long-term basis.
Through the OBC Missions Support Ministry:
• Create an OBC Missions Support Group;
• Prayerfully identify where God is at work within the community in order to mobilize the Church to join Him;
• Evaluate the constitution, programmes and activities of various organizations in order to identify potential partners in the furtherance of the Kingdom;
• Create the enabling environment for Christian partners set out for mission work in Botswana;
• Create awareness within the Church in respect of opportunities within and outside the country for reaching the unreached within and outside the country;
• Establish training and equipping facilities for Christian leaders;
• Reach out for support in accordance with Biblical principles for mission programmes.
Major components of our mission ministry include:
- Support for missionary organizations and individuals – OBC supports many missionary organizations and individuals in Botswana. These supports are largely financial.
- Student vacation ministry – Our main student vacation ministry is the Church’s response to the HIV/AIDS pandemic in Botswana through the Face the Nation Programme.
- Sending and Receiving Ministry Teams – Through OBC partnership with other Christian organizations in South Africa, Zambia and United States of America, there have been exchanges of visits for mission purposes between these countries and Botswana. The objects and mission of each trip will be worked out on case-by-case basis because it is virtually impossible to pre-empt where God is at work at any particular time or place.
- Reaching the Unreached (Church Planting) – OBC has an active partnership with other Christian organizations for mission activities in Botswana including church planting especially in West Kweneng District of the country.
- Training and equipping Christian leaders – For a sustainable mission programme, we focus a great deal on training programmes for Christian leaders.